Monday, November 22, 2010

Reboots

I just don't get the thinking and I can't figure out where I stand on them. Although it's a fine line and there is only a minor difference they are at least a level above a remake. There's just so much that can go wrong and they rarely live up to the originals. For every Battlestar Galactica or Hawaii Five-O there's a Bionic Woman or Knight Rider. Films seems to do slightly better than TV with the likes of Batman Begins & Star Trek and even A-Team, but they're not immune and are starting to get out of hand. Two Incredible Hulks so close together, now Fantastic Four and Spiderman are starting again. There are even people out there working on a third version of Battlestar Galactica already! Why can't we have some brand new things? I think the key here is time. When the memory of the previous version is still fresh surely there is no need for a new one?

I've picked now to rant about this due to the news today that Warner Brothers are planning to reboot Buffy (as a film) and not only that but are planning to do so without the involvement of Joss Whedon. Now I understand that vampires are the in thing at the moment and that it might be nice to have some proper ones around rather than the sparkly variety but it just seems like it's way too soon to me. There's a quote out there saying "There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character's return". Now technically that's true, but only if it's penned by Whedon and played by Sarah Michelle Gellar. Both are still alive, well and working so why not continue the story rather than repeating what's been done? Some executive somewhere has got the entirely wrong stick never mind the wrong end! Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

4 comments:

  1. Hear hear! That's way too soon. A very well-argued comment, I thought, and I wish those executives could read it, and ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joss Whedon responds:
    http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course the fandom as mentioned by Warner Brothers has gone crazy with a huge variety of responses:
    http://whedonesque.com/comments/25357

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flipping heck, crazy is the word! What a lot of posts. I can't imagine my lot having that much to say, even if someone discovered the Lost Tomb! But I thought that response you linked to earlier was brilliant, and I'd have no trouble believing it to be genuine, whoever wrote that comes across as warm, original, clever and modest - and a fine writer. Fits Joss Whedon, from what I've heard of him!

    ReplyDelete