Monday, November 1, 2010

Moments of Gaming (October 2010)

It's going to be hard to top last month's video. With some of my favorite games and two great pieces of music I think it's the best one I've done even if it's not the one with the most views. This month I had another challenge to deal with. I guess I've been busy this month and for that reason I had nowhere near as much footage to choose from especially when compared to last month. Also of the footage I did have a whole lot of it was just me walking around the Mojave Desert. I decided that I would need to try something slightly different in order to stop it being too boring. The first choice is as always is the music. The music tracks are extremely important when editing video like this. When you're editing to existing music rather than creating custom music for an existing edit the music defines the whole feel of the video. I've tried to use various styles of music in my videos but they've all had a very solid beat behind them. Here I decided I would go for something more classical with much more variation in time signatures and moods. Hopefully it gives the 'lots of walking' footage a bit of a lift. This all made the editing job quite a bit different when compared to the metal tracks I used for August and September. Here I could never get the in-game audio to match with the music so apart from a couple of small instances it has all been removed. It makes the video feel quieter to me. One small tip for anyone who has not played Fallout 3 or New Vegas. It's probably tricky for the untrained eye to spot the difference between these games at times. If you're wondering, look at the HUD at the bottom of the screen. If it's green then that is Fallout 3, if it is yellow then that is Fallout: New Vegas. Enjoy the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPE5QPoScos

1 comment:

  1. Well done! That was great. I didn't think there was too much 'walking' footage, and you're right, the classical music did give it a lift. It's interesting how the mood of the music affects the shots you're looking at. During the first piece, it was so fraught with danger and menace, it had me wondering what was going to jump out, but during the second piece, it was so sad sometimes, it had me feeling sad for the barren wasteland. You're right too that it was hard to spot the difference between Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but your clue was useful, and the other games, all so different, added great variety. I loved Civilisation, heh heh you knew I would, thanks for the great shots of ATG, and his quote in Greek! I enjoyed this one a lot - maybe not quite as pacy and coherent as last month's - which was hard to beat - but this one had a more intriguing selection of shots, and it was more thought-provoking and intense. Fantastic work, to get that out so fast, and it just shows how much thought you put into it.

    ReplyDelete