Monday, November 29, 2010

Memorial

Death happens every day, even among the famous and it's always sad. It's not really something that should be dwelt on when it's not someone you know personally. Still there were two notable deaths this weekend which I thought I should write about. It's the first time this has happened since I started this blog.

First, as pictured above, is of course the brilliant Leslie Nielsen. I was introduced to his crazy comedy when I was young thanks to my Dad being a fan. I can't remember now if I saw The Naked Gun before Airplane or not, I'm too young to have seen Police Squad on the first run. Still the order doesn't matter now it's all great stuff and still is years later.

The second is another person who had a big effect on my youth. Although admittedly I wasn't aware of his involvement until a lot later. The concept of a film director is probably a bit odd for a child, it's all about Luke and Han. I'm talking of course about Irvin Kershner, the director of The Empire Strikes Back. I have to say though that other than Empire I'm not particularly familiar with Kershner's work. I had to look him up but did find I have seen other things he directed, including Never Say Never Again and RoboCop 2.

I think I shall put a film on now. I still don't have a copy of the Naked Gun films on DVD so it will have to be Airplane or Empire.

1 comment:

  1. What a moving and thoughtful blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete