Monday, November 8, 2010

The Evolutionary Void

Well that was brilliant. The conclusion to the Void trilogy did not disappoint. Now I have to admit that I'm never the first to pick up hidden meanings, metaphors, allegory or anything like that. However on the surface it was a very enjoyable story which kept me coming back for more. There is something about Hamilton's writing style that keeps you wanting to continue. With the multiple storylines they are usually given a chapter to themselves rather the jumping around a lot. When you get to the end of a section and see that the next is about someone else I get the thought "but I want to know where the previous one was going!". Still you move on and see what is happening to the next character and end up getting engrossed again and so by the end of that section you have exactly the same thought.

This book spends a lot less time with the Void dreams than the previous two and concentrates more on what has been slowly building on the Commonwealth side. This made it feel a lot more like Judas Unchained than the other Void books, especially with the return of Ozzie for a while. There are still some dreams of Edeard but they're no longer sequential thanks to his new ability to manipulate time and of course skipping the more mundane parts of life once he starts to settle down.

As always the end result was nothing like I expected it to be but it was satisfactory and made sense. As much sense as a book about spaceships, dimensions, aliens & telepathy can anyway! I wonder what he will write about next. There is not a lot by Hamilton that I have not read now. There's just some of the older stuff to go including the stand alone Fallen Dragon and the Greg Mandel series. I'm suspect I'm going to run out before his next book is out.

I've been trying to decide which of his books is my favorite but it's too hard too choose. I've enjoyed them all in different ways. I can't even decide between the different series. The Reality Dysfunction, the first of the Night's Dawn trilogy will always have a special place for me as that was the first book by Peter F. Hamilton that I read. It's probably The Naked God, the conclusion to Night's Dawn, that's actually my favorite. Still that feels like I'm being unfair to the Commonwealth Saga and the Void Trilogy, they're all so close.

Time to read something a little less long and complex next I think.

1 comment:

  1. Another great review, you are really good at these. It's very interesting to read about books you like and why you like them, and I am very happy for you that you enjoyed this so much.

    ReplyDelete