Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Longest Journey

What a rather strange game. An adventure game from Funcom which is a few years old now. It's one of those games that I never played when it first came out but I'd always heard good things about. Press quotes include things like "one of the best adventure games in years". A story of dream worlds and alternate realities it's all very odd. I've only played for a couple of hours at this point and I don't think the story has really kicked in yet but I'm already interested in where it's going. Visually it's a weird mix of styles. The locations all have nicely rendered backgrounds. They look a little dated but are of a decent quality. Overlaid on top of those are extremely low resolution character models. The difference between the two styles is huge and took some getting used to. It probably looked amazing back in 1999 now though I'm afraid it's showing it's age. Still the story is good and the voice acting is great so it still has plenty going for it. So far none of the puzzles have been to challenging but I get the feeling there's still a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment