Monday, October 18, 2010

My God, it's full of stars!

Unfortunately 2010 doesn't look anywhere near as good in HD as 2001. It's obviously not had the same level of restoration and it's really showing it's age. Part of that stems form it being made in the eighties. There are just so many things from that era that identify it. I suppose the same could be said for the sixties vision of the future in the first one but to me that felt a lot more natural. Maybe it's simply because I lived through the eighties but not the sixties. Still there is a lot of good to be seen in 2010 it just doesn't compare well to 2001. The two films are in such different styles it's hard to keep them in mind as part of the same story. Also they were completely wrong about the level of technology we'd have by now! :D Despite all that I did still enjoy the film. I think I've only ever seen it once before and that will have been over ten years ago but it was the obvious next pick after seeing 2001 the other day. I wonder why, in this age of reboots & remakes, that the books 2061 & 3001 have not been considered for filming? Probably because they would still get compared to 2001 I guess.

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting theory about it possibly looking more dated to you because you lived through the 80s but not the 60s. You'll have to confer with someone who lived through both and has seen both films but unfortunately that someone is not me... I spent the 60s watching films from the 40s and 50s...

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I like your new intro :)

    ReplyDelete