Friday, October 15, 2010

Canvas Progress

After I posted last night I continued work on my HTML5 Canvas engine. If you'd have told me as little as a year ago that I'd be writing a game engine in Javascript I'd have just laughed and said 'surely it's not powerful enough!'. Well I've changed my mind now. There are still some things about Javascript that I don't like but then no programming language is perfect. You do need above average hardware for the games to run smoothly but that will only get better over time. My Canvas engine now has the capability to display static and animated sprites and seems to be working quite well so far. A lot of the core concepts are transferring well from the Java engine I once started writing for Hit 2. There are a couple of bugs but it's early days. For example it doesn't always load correctly first time. An exception is occurring, it looks like it's trying to start drawing before the canvas is ready. A refresh of the page seems to fix that though. Have a look at the test for yourself here: http://www.slayweb.com/canvas/demo1/. Like last time remember you'll need an up-to-date copy of FireFox, Chrome or Safari to view it. If you do have a look please drop me a comment and let me know what your average FPS is.

1 comment:

  1. I am just getting Error on Page, no doubt not up to date enough, but no matter, because I probably wouldn't understand it anyway.
    But you getting the joy back, that is something I understand very well, and it gives me joy too. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete