Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kindle Love

This evening I finished reading my first full book on Kindle. I'll write about the book itself tomorrow when I've got a little more time. So today I thought I'd briefly talk about the Kindle itself now I've been using it for a while. It's pretty awesome in all sorts of ways. The e-ink screen is great and really does look quite similar to paper. The refresh rate is a little slow for some tasks involving menus and settings but when you're just reading with it it's perfectly fine. Size and weight are both about the same as a standard mass market paperback yet it can hold thousands of books in it's memory and the battery life is good too. Ordering books is extremely simple and can be done from the Amazon website or directly from the Kindle itself. Either way your chosen book is delivered in seconds. On top of that there are a lot of old books now in the public domain available for free. Things like Dracula, Frankenstein or Sherlock Holmes, which I probably would never have gotten around to reading otherwise but now I have a nice copy. I can't say enough good things about it really. Sure it only really does one job, unlike say an iPad, but it does that job extremely well.

1 comment:

  1. It looks lovely! I'm so glad you're pleased with it, and it's opening up to you another world of books that you might not otherwise have got round to.
    This is the kind of thing that, when I was little, people imagined in a sort of Sci-Fi, 'Will it ever really happen' kind of way, and now it has, it feels as if the future has arrived!

    ReplyDelete