Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Paper Towns

I first discovered John Green as one of the Vlog Brothers, it was only later that I discovered that his main job was as a writer. I'd become a fan of him (and Hank) by that point and so I decided I should plan to read his books. They've won awards and seem to have generally good reviews, especially among Nerdfighteria (the community surrounding the Vlog Brothers' videos). If you don't count the free novella Zombicorns, which I don't think John Green would, then this is the first of his books that I have read. It's not his first book, but they're not linked in any way that I'm aware of and this was the first to be available on Kindle. The thing is now I'm really not sure what to say about the book. It's a young adult mystery/adventure set in Florida. It's a story which is so different to the epic space operas I usual read that I don't have any reference to compare it to. I suppose that it's a new genre to explore and this will always be the base reference from now on. Still I know this, I enjoyed it and found it hard to put down. It had excitement, it had sadness, it even had the power to make me laugh out loud. Good job.

1 comment:

  1. It is very good to hear of a novel in this genre that is mystery/adventure, because they usually seem to be full of teenage angst and romance, which is OK if you like that sort of thing, but it doesn't appeal to everybody. (Especially when combined with vampires, lol)
    It's nice finding a new area to explore, isn't it? I would guess that such a book is easier to dip into than a massive space opera, just as some games are suitable for a quick play and others aren't. Great review, as always - it sounds as if you struck lucky there, and this would be a worthy base reference. Things that can make you laugh out loud are always good!

    ReplyDelete