Monday, April 18, 2011

Game of Thrones

I have at various times in the past heard about George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels and came to understand that they were great examples of epic fantasy and had a huge fan base. However other than that I've never known any of the details about the setting, the characters or the story. They're on my list of books to read 'one day'. So when HBO announced they were going to make the books into a TV series I was interested but not as excited as some people. Still this evening I watched the premiere on Sky Atlantic, actually watching live TV for a change rather than a recording. It looked and sounded absolutely great, sets and CG mixing well. Sean Bean is suddenly looking quite old or perhaps it was makeup. This is a episode of many introductions. There are lots of characters and many names that I don't remember yet. There are castles in various locations from the frozen north to a sandy beach across the sea. The opening titles were very nice, flying about a map showing different cities. I would have had no idea about the physical relationships of these places without that. Still at this point I have no idea about any overall plot or theme beyond various people wanting to be king. What's interesting is they've committed to making one TV season per book in the series rather than expanding and dragging it out. Although there is to be 7 books but only 5 are written, so that could cause some interesting scheduling down the line. Though it does mean that there is a plan and an end. Still it's hard to imagine that this could still be going in 2018 when I'll nearly be 40! Until then I'm looking forward to episode 2.

1 comment:

  1. You'd think, wouldn't you, that with all the advances in speed and power that computers now have, that there would by now be a way for clipboard to remember more than one thing at a time. I wrote a reply to this earlier, but could not post it, so copied it to clipboard to try again later. But of course in the meantime I forgot and copied something else, and now it has gone. Well, it was not much, anyway. I was just saying how interesting it sounded, and that I would like to read this too one day, and also saying lots of nice things about Sean Bean. He has the loveliest voice!

    ReplyDelete