Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mass Effect: Ascension

Just this week I've finished reading the second of the Mass Effect books. This one is set in between the first two game and tells the story of a young biotic being experimented on by Cerberus. Somehow I found this slightly less enjoyable than the first book. I think that stems from the fact there's no direct connection to the games in this one. Sure it's set in the same universe but other than the Illusive Man there's no characters involved from the games. Even though one of the characters is from the first book it still feels a bit disconnected. It's still an interesting story itself just less part of the greater whole. I suppose it does serve the job of explaining the motivations of the Cerberus organisation some more. They jumped from small side quest to major antagonist between the first two games which I've always felt was a little weird. I'll wait until Mass Effect 3 arrives before I make a final overall judgement though. Good fun book which will pass some time but only if you're a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment