Sunday, June 27, 2010

Completed: Alpha Protocol

This afternoon while ignoring the football I completed my first play though of Alpha Protocol. It's fairly typical to play RPGs more than once as it's impossible to see everything the game has to offer in one go with so many choices leading to mutually exclusive content. This seems to be particularly true with Alpha Protocol. I'll have to play again to see how differently it turns out but on my first go it felt like the choices were having significant consequences. The story of the game is a bit confusing at times, there are lots of different factions and plots to deal with which makes it easy to lose track of what is going on. That's not necessarily a bad thing, you just have to remember pay attention. It's good that games have complex stories these days but the amount of choice in this has left some things unclear which is a shame. Unlike some RPGs there's not a lot of options for character customization, you always play Michael Thorton and he has a fixed history, any changes you can are minor. I decided to give him glasses, beard and a hat! A lot of the reviews for this game came down hard on some of the bugs and issues with the game. I'll admit it's not perfect by any means and it also felt a bit short but I enjoyed the time I spent playing it and I intend to give it another go in the future. The developers (Obsidian) don't work with many of their own IPs, this is the first that I can think of. Hopefully it's sold well enough and they're considering an Alpha Protocol 2. With the lessons learned from this one and a bit more polish they could have a huge franchise on their hands.

1 comment:

  1. The character looks good with a beard, glasses and a hat! I guess it won't be until the next play that you see how profound the difference that was made by each choice (assuming you choose differently!)
    As you have probably heard, you did not miss much with that football match you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete