Saturday, June 5, 2010

First Impressions: Alien Breed: Impact

It seems I've been in the mood for starting new games recently. First Alpha Protocol then Borderlands and now Alien Breed: Impact. This sci-fi shooter from Team 17 caught my eye in the new releases on Steam, it looked fun and was cheap so I went with the impulse and bought it. I've not heard anything about Team 17 for years. Until now I wasn't even sure they were still around. They're most famous for creating the Worms games but I do vaguely remember the original Alien Breed being available on the Amiga but I'm not sure I ever actually played it. They are a small UK developer who are actually based really close to me in Yorkshire so I suppose it's my duty to support them!

The game looks fantastic, another great use of the Unreal Engine. It runs smooth and plays well, though admittedly that's on a high-spec PC. The controls were a little tricky to begin with but fine with a bit of practice. I've played the first two levels so far and enjoyed it a lot. I don't know how long the game is but I'm looking forward to the rest. I've seen it described as Gauntlet in space which is pretty much spot on although the waves of aliens aren't as big as the Gauntlet monsters (so far).

No comments:

Post a Comment