Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Time is relative

As you get older it feels like the passage of time gets faster and faster. This is not a new and revolutionary concept however I did recently come across two similar yet interesting examples of this. In a fit of nostalgia I recently picked up some DVD box sets of my favourite eighties cartoons from my childhood. I guess I'd have been between 6 and 10 when these were first aired from the broom cupboard. First is The Mysterious Cities Of Gold and the second is Around The World With Willy Fog. To be honest I remember very little of the details of these cartoons but I can still sing the theme songs! However if you asked me how long these shows lasted I would have said they were on for years. Yet there are only 39 episodes of Cities of Gold and only 26 episodes of Willy Fog! It's just like that other famous example, only 13 episodes of Bagpuss! Although that's a bit before my time, I only ever remember the one where the mice make chocolate biscuits. Anyway I remember that Willy Fog made it around the world on time, even after thinking he didn't thanks to a timezone miscalculation. I presume something similar happened in the original Jules Verne, which I've not read. What I don't remember is whether the Cities of Gold were ever found, so that should be interesting to see in the coming weeks.



1 comment:

  1. You are taking me back too! I can remember those songs so well, and would never have guessed that there were not that many episodes of either. I am sure you are right about relative time - things stretch out for ever when you are very young - but I have noticed this before, with series too ancient for you to have even heard of, that the ones that lodge in your mind are the ones with catchy tunes and you end up thinking that the reason you remember them so well is because they were on for ages, when really it was the music that just lodged in your brain.

    ReplyDelete