Friday, March 9, 2012

Joy of installation

As I write this I'm waiting for Mass Effect 3 to install on my computer. While staring at the slowing moving progress bar I found myself wondering where the joy of installing a new game had gone. It used to be that you'd have a fancy themed installer program with pictures, screenshots, teasers and things like, things to look at while the game installed. You'd also have a brand new manual to flick through and you'd learn some basics of the game. Now all the installers are standardized and part of another system such as Steam or Origin. Manuals have become PDFs which you rarely look at. Even if you buy a game on disc you just a get may be quick start guide and a license agreement. You end up ignoring the installation and start browsing the web or writing a blog post instead. The installation process has stopped being an event and I miss the old way.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of you today, I remembered it was Mass Effect 3. That is a shame that the exciting feeling of an event has gone from the installation, I hope that the game itself makes up for it and that by now you are enjoying your first play.

    ReplyDelete