Saturday, March 10, 2012

First Impressions: Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect has pretty much become my favourite role playing game and so I've been looking forward to Mass Effect 3 for quite a while. The look and feel of the game is pretty much exactly the same as Mass Effect 2 so there's not a lot new to talk about there. The Unreal Engine is still doing an excellent job. Performance is fine on my PC and I've had no problems with the game itself. I did have some issues getting Origin installed though. Origin is EA's competition to Steam and so they've made some of their titles exclusive to the Origin platform in order to grow the user base. Unfortunately it's far less advanced than Steam, they're still light years behind. The first of Origin on the disc failed to automatically install as promised, I had to go to the website a separately install the latest version. That's fine for me but not very handy for the less technically inclined user, although I guess those people are more likely playing the more popular Xbox 360 version.

The story so far has been good but it's taking place some months after the events of Mass Effect 2 and there's been very little information to fill in what happened in the gap up to this point. I'd like to know more about that and how Shepard finally left Cerberus. This will be filling what spare time I have for some time to come.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the hitches with installation, but delighted to know you're enjoying the game, I know it's one of your favourites. I hope you get plenty of spare time to play.

    ReplyDelete