Friday, May 7, 2010

Results

Seeing as I decided to make some pre-election comments I guess I may as well do a quick post on the results. Despite my non-voting stance I am still interested in the results themselves. I even stayed up to watch them come in as I have the luxury of choosing my own hours. Lots of stats, graphs, counts, seats & swings they all far more interesting and understandable than policies and manifestos. As always it starts off really slow until eventually the results are coming in too fast for each to be mentioned separately. There seemed to be a lot of problems and delays which meant a lot of the counts were late. There were five constituencies I was looking out for. My own of course (Sheffield Heeley) along with surrounding areas (Sheffield Central & Sheffield Hallam) and also my home town ones (Cheadle & Stockport). It was gone 5 in the morning before Cheadle and Stockport were announced but they were both fairly standard expected results Lib Dem hold in Cheadle and Labour hold in Stockport although there was quite a high swing to Conservative in Stockport. The results for Sheffield didn't come till about an hour later. Obviously Sheffield Hallam held as Lib Dem and Sheffield Heeley held Labour. However here in Heeley there was huge 9.2% swing to Lib Dems quite a lot for a 'safe' Labour seat. The most interesting was Sheffield Central which held Labour but only with a majority of 165! Now as to my thoughts about a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition I've no idea, that's back to policies again. I have to say though that on completely superficial terms of looks, personality and elocution I'd say David Cameron makes the best Prime Minister. I stand by my decision to not bother voting, the numbers show it would have made no difference.

1 comment:

  1. That is a bit depressing, when you realise that your vote wouldn't have made any difference - same here - but I'm glad you enjoyed the election night drama. At previous elections, I've stayed up really late like you did and seen it get to the point where the results are coming in so fast, they're only on a ribbon at the bottom of the screen. Sheffield Central was an interesting result, and some of the swings show that some safe seats might be turning marginal - nothing stays the same for ever! Glad you enjoyed all the stats and swings. I like your reasons for saying David Cameron might make the best prime minister - not that superficial, things like that matter on the world stage, and Sir Humphrey runs things really.

    ReplyDelete