Monday, May 3, 2010

Mass Effect: Revelation

Novels based on video games seem to be a fairly new concept. I only recall noticing them over the last few years. I suppose it makes sense, it would probably be a little difficult to write compelling fiction about Pong or Frogger. However these days we've got games much larger in scope with huge back stories. Unfortunately the earliest example I can find is Halo which is a game I'm not a fan of. I'm not including things such as Star Wars or Warhammer which existed as other media before they were games. Recently there have been a lot more releases based on role playing games. This makes sense as they're generally the type of game with the most involved story and setting, they're more about creating a world for the player to inhabit.

Now obviously the quality of these books is going to vary in quality depending on the author and how rushed they were, but I've only read the one so far. When there's a book available set in a universe you like, which was produced by the same game company and written by the lead writer of the game you really can't ignore it. In all but the strictest definition it would be considered canon.

Mass Effect: Revelation is a prequel story set 18 years before the events of Mass Effect 1 and involves David Anderson's attempt to join the Spectres and his first meeting with Saren. I always liked Captain Anderson in the game, far more than that idiot Udina, I always chose to suggest Anderson join the Citadel Council at the end of ME1 even when playing renegade. So the story of a young Lieutenant Anderson is a welcome addition to the lore. The story suffers a little from the fact that we already know Anderson is going to survive but it's still interesting to see how he does it. The descriptions and setting all feel like they're part of the same world as the game and the characters we've met before still feel like the same people which is all good. Overall the obvious conclusion is, if you enjoyed the game then you will probably enjoy this book.

For my next book I'm going to move straight on to Mass Effect: Ascension, this one set in between Mass Effect 1 & 2.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, I enjoyed reading that. I think it's great that so much thought goes into these games, that there's a real world behind them, and real characters with back stories.
    It works the other way round too, doesn't it? Because I'm pretty sure I've heard of games based on LOTR and Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed many games have their source material in other media. Star Wars and Warhammer as I already mentioned are good examples. Also LOTR and Harry Potter as you said, although those two are more based on the films rather than the books. Unfortunately most games based on films are usually rushed to come out as close to the film release as possible and other than a few rare execptions they're usually pretty bad. Off the top of my head I can't think of any game that came from a book which wasn't a film in between.

    ReplyDelete