Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Three Musketeers

While I was in London we spent one evening at the cinema and it was a very nice Vue cinema in Islington. It was much more comfortable that the Odeon I go to here in Sheffield, although it was also more expensive. The seat layout was great with exponentially rising seating so everyone gets a perfect view and with a gap halfway making one row extra perfect for tall people. It's going to be sad next time I see a film here in Sheffield while remembering this, the Vue here is also pretty good as far as I remember but it's also much further away from me.

The film itself was great fun as well. It certainly isn't a serious adaptation of the original novel. Instead going for a fun and outrageous style which I guess is partly influenced by the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean. The fact that Orlando Bloom stars as the Duke of Buckingham helps with that comparison. Although I was surprised by the amount of screen time he got, less than I expected. However there are times when he looks so similar to Luke Evans as Aramis that you could be excused for getting confused. Of The Three Musketeers I only remember seeing Ray Stevenson (Porthos) in anything else before, but they all did a great job. D'Artagnan I'd never heard of before either but IMDb tells me he was Percy Jackson so I guess that's pretty good experience. The film looked and sounded great and the 3D was excellent too, thanks to Paul W.S. Anderson for being a pioneer and using 3D cameras properly. This is his second 3D film already and he's working on more.

It's not a deep thought type of film but it is an excellent evening of fun for all the family. I recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fun - Percy Jackson as D'Artagnan, right! And I didn't know Orlando Bloom was in it. And yes, Luke Evans does look very like him, doesn't he? I see he had a small part in Russell Crowe's Robin Hood that I saw recently, and is also going to be in the Hobbit.
    But it's a shame that your local Vue is not nearer to you. It sounds a very nice theatre.

    ReplyDelete