Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dead Ringer?

Sorry, that's a really poor pun as that's obviously one of the things the name of the show is alluding to. Also it's not actually true, it seems the ratings were up this week and it's been officially picked up for a full season. However at this point it is losing me.

There are three reasons I will try a new TV series.
1) It involves an Actor, Writer or Director of whom I'm already a fan.
2) It has a particularly interesting premise or a great trailer
3) Peer recommendation

Number three doesn't actually happen very often as it's usually me who keeps up with the news and is the one doing the recommending. However if you count the excitement in the Whedon fandom that influenced me a little. In the case of Ringer it was mostly number one. Obviously Sarah Michelle Gellar was the main reason I gave this a shot, but there was also Nestor Carbonell from Lost and Ioan Gruffudd helps as well.

Unfortunately after five episodes I'm just not feeling it. To be honest I never really expected I was actually in the intended dempgraphic for ths programme anyway. The story is barely above soap opera level. The only reason there is any mystery in the story is due to the fact the everybody spends the entire time lying to each other. They all have their own selfish personal agendas and there seems to be a complete lack of common sense.

I'll keep an eye on news and reviews I guess and possibly catch up later if I hear thing change but for now I'm done. There is only so much TV time available and this is one hour I think could be better spent.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments are always good to read, even if you're not familiar with the subject matter. Whether you are praising or finding fault, your analysis is always tight and comments trenchant.
    Shame about this show, but there's too much good stuff to waste time on the mediocre, and decisions have to be made.

    ReplyDelete