Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Much Ado About Nothing

Important Whedonesque news occurred while I was away in London. I still heard about it thanks to mobile Internet of course, however I've not had chance to post about it until now. Apparently after principle photography on The Avengers Joss Whedon was supposed to take a short holiday. Instead he decided to shoot a self funded film of Much Ado About Nothing in his house with all his actor and industry friends, in only 12 days! It's been known for a long time that he holds Shakespeare readings with friends so I guess this is a logical extension. I admit I'm not exactly familiar with Shakespeare's plays but I am very much looking forward to see this when it gets a release of some sort next year, it's probably a great introduction for someone like me. Any fan of Whedon's previous work can't look at that cast list and be anything but impressed. There's a nice interview about the project here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you should enjoy that, it's one of the more popular plays, we would call it a romantic comedy nowadays. It's unusual in that most of the words are prose not verse, so the sentence structure is less convoluted than, say, Hamlet. It's a very witty play, though, and the exchanges between the two main characters, Benedick and Beatrice, are so fast, you have to be on your toes! Kenneth Branagh and his pals did a famous film version which was terrific, but my favourite will always be the BBC Shakespeare one, with Robert Lindsay. He was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete