Saturday, October 1, 2011

Wedding of River Song

After all the mysterious build up I was surprised at how uncomplicated this episode was, especially for one of Moffat's. The episode was fun but I found myself a little underwhelmed by it all. I think that it fell victim to its own hype and with all the foreshadowing it simply couldn't live up to expectations.

The idea of all of time happening at once is really interesting even if it doesn't entirely make sense, it's fun until you look too deep. Though we do get a wonderful view of an alternate London with cars in hot air balloons and steam trains running from the gherkin to the pyramids. It's a great setting but possibly a bit underused. Although I guess big exterior shots like that are quite expensive for a BBC TV budget.

I still don't understand The Doctor and River's relationship. The timeline is okay, I get that now but I just don't feel the love. I'll admit it's not something I have a lot of first hand experience in but everything about this feels wrong. I don't think their personalities match, I think that's what bugs me, I'm not really sure. I may just not like River Song, perhaps some of both. Time is falling apart because River won't let the Doctor die. To me through that whole speech about her suffering more than the universe came across selfish and needy. In response to that I felt like the Doctor married her as a plan to get her to be quiet and save the universe, not out of love. However then later there's a conjugal visit joke and a mother-in-law one. Though now I think about it, wouldn't he just need to ask River to look in to his eye to convince her?

For me again, it was Rory who stole the show as bad ass soldier guy, even in a smaller role.

Some fantastic moments here but overall it didn't quite work for me. If I had to rate all six series finales of New Who in order I'm afraid this one would have to go at the bottom. Don't forget though that is still far above the majority of the rest of television.

Now can we leave the River Song stuff alone for a bit now and have a nice Christmas special? Moffat, go write some great lines for Bill Bailey!

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right, this was enormous fun, and still better than most things on TV, but it didn't really work. The relationship is the reason, it just doesn't feel right at all. How could the Doctor love someone who never stops grinning and is always calling him 'sweetie'? Not very believable. Which leaves us, as you said, with the idea that he just married her to shut her up. Not very logical, when all he had to do in the first place was tell her to look in his eye. Doesn't make sense. And that's not the only relationship that doesn't make sense. She doesn't ever feel like Rory and Amy's daughter. River Song, a doctor with a mysterious past and dubious morals, has never felt like the same person as Melody Williams.
    But there, having said that, the ep was filled with great ideas and stunning visuals. Little gems like 'live chess' crammed in, because there was so much going on. The sheer quantity of crazy things going on in the all of history happening at once bit was breathtaking. And one or two intriguing plot lines left to carry forward, that is always good.

    ReplyDelete