Thursday, January 12, 2012

Remake of the Living Dead

Some I had before, one I got for Christmas and the rest I just picked up to complete the collection. My backlog catchup is starting with lots of zombies. There are six films in George A Romero's Dead series. The first three (the famous early ones) have all since been remade. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, Night of the Living Dead was remade in 1990. Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead were remade more recently in 2004 and 2008. The Dawn and Day remakes are standalone and don't count as part of the series. However Night is a special case. It wasn't directed by Romero but he was still on board as writer and producer. It was directed instead by Tom Savini who was already part of the team having been special effects and makeup artist on (the original) Dawn and Day. For those reasons the 1990 version of Night of the Living Dead feels like part of the series even though it's a remake. I've already listed some of the reasons I prefer the remake over the original but this is another one. It's as if all the lessons learned making the second and third films were then applied to the original and improved it. Most people don't seem to agree with me though. IMDb users give the original an 8.0/10 and the remake a 6.7/10. Same on Rotten Tomatoes, 96% for the original and 66% for the remake. I wonder if I'd think the same if I hadn't seen the remake so many times before I first saw the original?

No comments:

Post a Comment