Saturday, January 7, 2012

First Impressions: Jurassic Park - The Game

Last game from the Steam holiday this time around and it's a bit of an odd one, an adventure game about Jurassic Park. It's a newish release but based on a 17 year old film. Although the creators, TellTale, have also recently done a game based on Back to the Future which is older yet to me it somehow seems like a more valid choice. I mean I guess they're both famous films it's just seems like Jurassic Park is a strange way to go for your second film based game after Back to the Future.

Anyway about the game itself. It's an adventure game which means it's like an interactive story where you take some control of some actions and choices but a lot of the time it's just moving forward on rails. I guess you could say it's similar to a Choose Your Own Adventure book. It's fun that the story is attempting to weave its way through the story of the first film and fill in some gaps. Unfortunately some of the implementation is a bit off. Some of the Quick-Time-Events I found really difficult to hit on time. That could be my own fault but it felt like the game wasn't responsive enough. The graphics are reasonable but not amazing, probably about what you'd expect from a fairly small company though, it's enough. From what I've played so far it seems okay but I'm not in a huge rush to play the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment