Monday, January 23, 2012

Imaginaerum

After a huge tour and a bit of a break it's finally time for the second Nightwish album with Anette Olzon on vocals. This album was actually released at the end of Novemeber last year but I kept forgetting to pick it up. Finally Amazon reminded me because I'd been looking at other albums and I grabbed the MP3 download. It's an interesting album with a wide variety of styles, some of which are not even metal at all. Slow, Love, Slow is pure jazz for example. Still even with all that variety it still feels like a consistent album. That's probably in part because it's almost a concept album. It has been produced alongside a film project with similar themes and will later be used as the sound track for that film. Although the band have said they wanted to make sure the album would stand alone as a proper album not just a soundtrack album. I think they have managed that fine. Storytime is probably the most 'normal' Nightwish song, which is probably why it was the first single. I think Scaretale is probably my favorite track though, but special mention also has to go to Arabesque for being unexpectedly cool.

1 comment:

  1. Just had a listen to Storytime, thanks for that. Was pacier than I expected, somehow. Very good review, as always!

    ReplyDelete