Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Night of the Living Dead

An I mentioned in my latest video blog, one of my goals at the moment is to clear the backlog of films and games I have to watch. So whenever I'm stuck for a blog topic, like today, then a mini review of the latest film I watched is likely to appear. So today lets talk a little about Night of the Living Dead.

George A. Romero's first zombie film from 1968 is one of the earliest instances in film of zombies as we know them today. It's an interesting part of cinema history to see the roots of all zombie films since then. However I'm so familiar with the 1990 remake that it always feels just a little bit wrong to me. The setting is the same and the characters have the same names however they act very differently and the story has lots of differences. I guess it's a sign of the time they were made. I much prefer Patricia Tallman's eighties empowered take charge Barbara to Judith O'Dea's sixties catatonic with fear 'oh I need a sit down' Barbara.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, nice review! I have noticed the same thing myself, often preferring a remake which I happened to see first, to the more famous original, though in my case it is usually 60s remakes of the original b&w version...
    Hope you are having a 'Magic' time this evening.

    ReplyDelete