Friday, January 20, 2012

Dawn of the Dead

Dawn of the Dead is probably the most famous of George A Romero's Dead series. As the zombie threat continues we see the story of four survivors who hide out in a shopping mall. It's been years since I last saw this film and the first thing that surprised me is all the character introduction at the beginning before they even get to the mall. I'd completely forgotten about all that. Another thing I'd forgotten is how comical some of the zombies are in this one, with their stumbling walks and stuck wobbling on escalators. It's definitely a horror film and there is plenty of gore (although the blood is far too red) but I don't think this could ever be considered scary. Still even after 34 years it stands up as a great zombie survival story, there's a reason it's probably the most famous zombie film ever. On the new Blu-ray version I have there are three different cuts available to watch. I'm not familiar with the differences and I think I've only seem the theatrical cut before, that's what I watched today as well. I wonder how many changes there are but I'll leave the alternate cuts for another time. I've got lots to catch up on and watching essentially the same film two days running is not of interest right now. I'm catching up on things I've bought and not watched, not doing a detailed analysis of the differences between cuts. So straight on to Day of the Dead next.

No comments:

Post a Comment