Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Masters of Cinema

In the US there is a special collection of DVDs known as the Criterion Collection. Criterion pick the best of the best films, source the highest quality original prints to transfer, commission new and informative bonus material and generally treat film and DVD collection with as much respect as possible. The problem is with me being in the UK, all the Criterion Collection is region 1 and therefore no good to me. I don't like to faff about with multi-region players, my entire collection is region 2. However I recently found out that there is a company in London who do similar things in region 2, Eureka's Masters of Cinema series. I actually already posted about one of these back in December (Silent Running) but I never talked about the rest of the series. I picked up Silent Running and Metropolis simply as a science fiction fan but I was hugely impressed by the quality of the film transfers, the extras and the packaging that I decided I wanted to know more. There are quite a few gaps in my film knowledge outside my sci-fi/fantasy/horror comfort zone. I now intend to use the series to learn about films I would probably have otherwise never seen. They obviously know what they're talking about and pick great and influential films for good reasons. I think that (eventually) I will attempt to complete the series. So since December I have picked up some more, I now have 7 out of 46. You can see some pictures here http://imgur.com/a/V7A9B which were originally posted on a DVD collection forum I frequent.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good idea, such a thing should definitely be available for region 2 too. But I just looked at your collection and at their catalogue, and there are not many there that I have even heard of, let alone seen. You are going to be an even greater expert at this rate, way out of my league!

    ReplyDelete