Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Deception

Today the demo for Mass Effect 3 was released. A lot of people were excited but personally I've not bothered to play it. I don't need convincing to buy the game, I already pre-ordered months ago. Also I don't want to get in to the game only to have it end after two hours. I will just waiting until March 9th and play the full game. This did remind me of something else I was going to mention though and the the forth Mass Effect tie-in novel, Deception. I've not bought this either and this time that turns out to be a good thing. A new writer was brought on board for this one and it seems that he doesn't have the same love and attention for the Mass Effect universe as the previous writer. Some people are also calling his writing plain horrible, but I've not read it so I won't go that far. The book is apparently full of inconsistencies compared the the games and the other books. No continuity, incorrect character traits and apparently a story that doesn't even make much sense on its own. The fans have been in uproar, so much so that BioWare have stated they are going to have the book rewritten and republished. I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before. Poor William C. Dietz I wonder what he's thinking now. He probably thought he had quick and easy video game tie-in job, something he's done a lot of before (for Halo, Resistance and even Star Wars) and now he's the subject of Internet hatred. Part of me still wants to buy the book to see how bad it is and how it compares when its re-released.

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, yes, I bet the writer is feeling a bit of a twit now. It sounds as if he just skimmed the surface, doesn't it, not realising that people would be expecting a higher standard than that!

    ReplyDelete