Friday, December 30, 2011

Silent Running

This was quite interesting. When I bought this film I wasn't sure if I had seen it or not. However I could tell from the description it was something I should have seen. A science fiction film by Douglas Trumbull who at this point has just spent the last three years working on the special effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey. I noticed in the credits that it's also one of John Dykstra's first films and he would later go on to work at ILM. So as you would expect the quality of the effects work here is top notch for a film made in 1972. The story is fairly simple, one man's quest to save the Earth's very last forest. As admirable as that is, the film has very heavy hippie vibe. Still I'm glad to have finally seen it as it's obviously an important part of cinema history.

No comments:

Post a Comment