Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mockingjay

Third book in the Hunger Games trilogy and this time around the Games are a metaphor. Katniss is now accepting the symbol she's become and joins the rebels in their fight against the Capital. Although to be honest it seems she has very little choice in the matter. Here we have lots of propaganda followed by battles and then endings. I have to say that it did not end quite like I expected it to. That's not a bad thing, in fact it's probably good for things to subvert your expectations. Although that did make a few moments feel a little odd when the plot took an unexpected turn. Also at the end things did seem to get a little rushed. Be warned I'm going to spoil a couple of things now. There was so much going on when Finnick died there was no chance to let that fact settle in and mourn. The same happened later with Prim. It being a teen novel there is one thing you can't avoid and that is the love triangle which is beneath it all. That was another thing I expected incorrectly. I thought it was going to be Gale in the end. Personally I like him a lot more than Peeta. Overall it was good, though of the three books I think the first is my favourite.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a photo in the paper of the actress who is playing Katniss, I would never have noticed it if I had not been reading your reviews.
    I'm not sure about unexpected plot twists - they can be quite unsettling, can't they? I think they can be good if you suddenly see what has been leading up to it, but not so good if everything has been leading somewhere else and then it just twists for no apparent reason.

    ReplyDelete