Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Argh! Spoilers!

It's been a week now since Mass Effect 3 was released in the US and four days since it arrived in the UK. During that time I've had to make a lot of extra effort to avoid spoilers on the Internet. More than usual it seems. I guess that's a problem with it being such a popular franchise now. All the websites want to feature it, all the users want to comment on it and all the webcomics want to parody it. I'm basically having to completely avoid some of the sites I would regularly visit under normal circumstances. Even when spoilers are marked sometimes things slip through in headlines or thumbnails. I've learned a couple of things I'd have rather not known in advance but nothing really major. Just as it was beginning to calm down there's been a sudden surge of articles about people being disappointed and complaining about the ending. I don't know any of the details just that some people are shouting loud that the ending sucks and even going so far as to demand it be changed! That's a rather entitled position which I don't agree with. What I do wish is that I would get a chance to actually play the game first before being subjected to all that. Sure I don't know the details, it's probably just a highly vocal minority making a fuss. People are giving it one star at Amazon and less than 5/10 at Metacritic, yet the press scores are all really high. I guess a lot of people had specific expectations which weren't met. However now I'm going to be anticipating the end and judging it, rather than letting the story do its work. It's different to 1 and 2 but I've really enjoyed what I've played so far. I would just like to be given the chance to make my own decision rather than having the Internet's will forced upon me. I love the Internet but why is it always the angry people who have the loudest voice?

1 comment:

  1. Well said, and beautifully said. That deserves to go online where these selfish people hang out. Even if they had criticisms, could they not wait until more people had had chance to play and see for themselves? It strikes me that they must have rushed it, to be commenting already, and are probably more interested in being first to shout than in the game itself. I bet later comments by more thoughtful people will be more positive.

    ReplyDelete